Why Choose a Cosmetic Dentist in Sugar Land?
Cosmetic dentistry consists of a variety of procedures designed primarily to improve the appearance of the patient’s teeth or gums. However, some cosmetic dentistry procedures can also improve the patient’s ability to bite or chew.
Common Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures
Many cosmetic dentistry procedures are available to correct stained, chipped or missing teeth as well as to repair teeth that have large cavities. Some procedures can help provide relief from jaw pain or certain headaches.
• Whitening is a common procedure that is used to brighten discolored teeth. The dentist may use chemical whitening agents alone or choose a technique known as laser whitening.
• Veneers are extremely thin laminates that are affixed directly onto the teeth. Veneers are a popular option for eliminating gaps between teeth, altering the apparent shape of the teeth or changing the color of teeth that have not responded satisfactorily to whitening procedures.
• Implants are used to replace missing teeth or to provide a strong anchor to support dental prosthetics. In most cases, implants begin with a post that is inserted in and bonded to the jaw bone. An abutment is typically installed that will support a crown, removable dentures, a fixed bridge or other dental prosthetic.
• Crowns and caps are frequently used to completely cover the exposed part of a tooth that has been damaged. However, they can also be used to improve the appearance or strength of the teeth.
• Tooth reshaping, also known as contouring, is a procedure in which the appearance of the tooth is improved by the removal of small pieces of the enamel. The procedure can be used to correct a size discrepancy or repair a small chip.
• Inlays are typically used to repair cracked or decayed teeth that need more than a filling but less than a crown.
• Bridges are usually fixed in place and are not removable by the wearer. They are typically used to replace at least two adjacent missing teeth, but it is possible to use a bridge to replace a single tooth.
The Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry in Sugar Land
An attractive, healthy smile can boost your confidence and improve your self-image, but it can also affect how others view you. Many people who are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth go to great lengths to ensure that others do not see them. They may try to avoid in-person conversations, refuse to smile in photographs or feel uncomfortable when dining in public. Others may perceive that these individuals are loners who do not want their company, so they may stop issuing invitations to social events.
Various studies have shown that people with attractive smiles are considered by others to be more confident, more trustworthy and more truthful than those who have unattractive smiles or who avoid smiling. Furthermore, a healthy smile is often associated with a more youthful appearance and a higher energy level. All of these perceptions can impact both your social and professional life.
Choosing a Cosmetic Dentist in Sugar Land
Whether you want to correct a problem with one tooth or desire a complete smile makeover, you should choose a dentist with experience in cosmetic procedures. Cosmetic dentistry is constantly evolving, so look for a dentist who remains current on the latest technologies, materials and methods. It is also a good idea to look for a dental practice that includes at least one staff member who is knowledgeable about dental insurance and can help you discover whether your policy will cover any of the costs.